A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Saturday 5 June 2010

No puns, just great moths

Sorry about the lack of updates, I have been having camera problems.

I had a bit of a disaster three nights ago when someone managed to jog the plug loose for the trap, so it probably only ran for a couple of hours. As a result I got seven moths. The next night was much better, with a very fresh Light Brocade amongst the catch, but nothing else of particular note. Although it was nice to get my second records of Dwarf and Foxglove Pugs.
Agreggate for 2nd and 3rd June:
7 Heart and Dart
3 Common Marbled Carpet
2 Treble Lines
2 Pale Tussock
2 Common Pug
2 Peppered Moth
1 Orange Footman
1 Spectacle
1 Spruce Carpet
1 Shuttle-shaped Dart
1 Green Carpet
1 Light Brocade
1 Dwarf Pug
1 Clouded-bordered Brindle
1 Red Twin-spot Carpet
1 Scalloped Hazel
1 Foxglove Pug

Spectacle

Light Brocade

Last night was a lot better, with 35 moths of 23 species. Unfortunately, the star moth was faded. When I first found my first ever Satin Lutestring, it was outside the trap in the morning, and it was in pristine condition. I just potted it, but did not ID it as I had to go to work. When I got home, I found it floundering on its back, with lots of scales littering the pot! I hope I still got the ID right. Also among the highlights were new-for-year Small Seraphim, Grey Pine Carpet, Light Emerald, a Minor (probably Marbled), and my second ever Ingrailed Clay.
4th June:
5 Heart and Dart
4 Treble Lines
3 Common Marbled Carpet
3 Common Pug
2 Mottled Pug
1 Buff-tip
1 Pale Prominent
1 Orange Footman
1 Flame Shoulder
1 Grey Pine Carpet NFY
1 May Highflyer
1 Light Emerald NFY
1 Small Phoenix
1 Flame Carpet
1 Small Seraphim NFY
1 White Ermine
1 Coxcomb Prominent
1 Oak-tree Pug
1 Green Carpet
1 Pale Tussock
1 Minor sp. NFY
1 Ingrailed Clay NFY
1 Satin Lutestring NFG


Satin Lutestring

Ingrailed Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment