A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Wednesday 28 July 2010

A buzz in the air!

Too much excitement last night! As if having half a dozen hornets flying round the trap when I went to check it wasn't enough, when I got back indoors I discovered that one had come in with me. I don't know what your household is like but my nearest and dearest were not thrilled to have a hornet buzzing round the sitting room. Even worse, by the time I'd got the vacuum cleaner, it had disappeared. There followed a rather tense search until I located it crawling across the carpet in a dark corner. (By the way, I can officially inform you that they don't immediately search out meat. We decided to sacrifice a piece of left-over liver to see if that would draw it from hiding. It didn't. But the dog was pleased!)
When I eventually removed the hornets from the trap and went through the catch, I did have one or two interesting moths - and a nice shield bug.
I think I'm going to have to leave the trap on all night or not at all while it's so warm. The only prob. with that is that I'm not good at surviving the day after waking at dawn. Roll on autumn!
small rivulet

least carpet

forest shieldbug

dingy footman (f. stramineola)

Argyresthia brockeella

No comments:

Post a Comment