A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Sunday 4 July 2010

A-knot of cloud brings a very Varied catch

Two nights ago was staggering, with lots of cloud and only a little rain.
.
I got exactly the same number of species as my best night ever (6th June - 42), but with three less individuals, but I am definitely not complaining! I managed three brand new species to me which were Varied Coronet, Miller, and Minor Shoulder-knot, as well as a couple more new for the year. It was also surprising to smash my previous Hawk-moth total, with four Elephants!
.
2nd July:
7 Heart and Dart
7 Riband Wave
6 Flame
5 Dark Arches
4 Willow Beauty
4 Mottled Beauty
4 Elephant Hawk-moth
4 Light Emerald
3 Marbled White Spot
3 Heart and Club
3 Dot Moth
3 Coronet
2 Double Square-spot
2 Light Arches NFY
2 Fan-foot
2 Clouded Border
2 Pale Mottled Willow
1 Miller NFG
1 Dagger sp. NFY
1 Peppered Moth
1 Sycamore
1 Minor Shoulder-knot NFG
1 Barred Red
1 Uncertain
1 Spruce Carpet
1 Grey Pine Carpet
1 Clay
1 Varied Coronet NFG
1 Common White Wave
1 Minor sp.
1 Poplar Grey
1 Green Pug
1 Common Emerald NFY
1 Snout
1 Buff Arches
1 Dunbar
1 Garden Carpet
1 Foxglove Pug
1 Purple Clay
1 Common Lutestring
1 Bird's Wing
.
Species recorded in the garden this year: 142
.
The other day I was in a woodland near me when I found this curious Light Emerald. It looks like it has just emerged and is pumping up its wings, but the thing is, that I found it on an overhanging branch quite high up, and I thought they pupated underground. I am really not sure what has happened here:


Dagger sp.

A fresh Willow Beauty

Light Arches

Common Emerald

Miller

Minor Shoulder-knot

Varied Coronet

No comments:

Post a Comment