A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Friday 9 July 2010

September Thorn and Brown Tail- 3rd July

Sorry for the lack of recent posts. I've just come back from a week in Suffolk watching Nightjars, Kingfishers, Dartford Warblers and Avocets along the coast.

I just about managed to fit the moth trap in the suitcase and did a spot of mothing in a secluded wood in Bury St. Edmunds. I know this blog is for Surrey moths but I couldn't resist posting this shot of my best moth of the stay... a Lunar Yellow Underwing (not, I repeat not trapped in Surrey!).

A declining and rare species in Britain, with Suffolk being one of the only places where they can be seen.


Back in Surrey, I trapped my first Thorn of the year, a September Thorn, in the garden just before leaving on the 3rd...


Another welcome surprise in the garden was a Brown-tail which literally landed in my hands as I emptied the trap on the same night...


I haven't trapped in the garden for quite a while now so it will be good to see what I get tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment