A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Tuesday 20 July 2010

still netting

It's surprising how many moths you can find without a trap. I added a new sp. for my garden at dusk in the form of large tabby (Aglossa pinguinalis) which has not been recorded within 20kms of me (in Surrey) before in the recent era. Its larvae apparently thrive on the detritus in sheep sheds and the like so perhaps not too many people look in such places for moths! As we have a sheep farm near us, that is presumably the source of this Pyralid.


I also caught what I thought was a darker than normal ribband wave. To the naked eye the band had merged into the darker area of the trailing edges of the wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment