A NEW WEBSITE!

As of March 2015, an official website for Surrey Moths has been set-up here. There you'll find information on everything to do with the Surrey Branch of Butterfly Conservation, including the updated events calender for 2015. Hope to see you there!




Sunday 31 July 2011

Mighty Variety!

I thought I would christen my MV trap in the garden last night, so I trialled it up to 0:00. Quite frankly I was amazed by the results. It was a clear night, and there was a definite chill in the air, yet, in just a couple of hours, I matched what my old trap did in a whole cloudy night. I am not going to use it in the garden again however, till the new year, so this years trapping results are comparable. Within 84 moths of 30 species were 6 new for the year, the best being only my second garden record of Canary-shouldered Thorn, which actually appeared after I had turned the light off!

July 30th, MV up to 0:00:
18 Riband Wave
12 Large Yellow Underwing
7 Shuttle-shaped Dart
6 Dark Arches
5 Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing NFY
4 Dunbar
3 Clay
2 Double Square-spot
2 Small Fan-footed Wave NFY
2 Willow Beauty
2 Early Thorn
2 Elephant Hawk NFY
2 Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing
1 Light Arches
1 V-Pug
1 Peppered Moth
1 July Highflyer
1 Poplar Hawk
1 Iron Prominent
1 Ruby Tiger NFY
1 Yellow-tail
1 Rosy Footman
1 Rustic
1 Fan-foot
1 Single-dotted Wave
1 Scalloped Oak
1 Red Twin-spot Carpet
1 Common Carpet NFY
1 Canary-shouldered Thorn NFY
1 Brimstone



Canary-shouldered Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment